Week 1 (October 22, 2009):
Week 2 (October 29, 2009):
- Handout: Grammar and nature of ellipsis
Week 3 (November 5, 2009):
- Handout: Identity conditions on ellipsis.
- Reading: Merchant, Jason. 2009. Ellipsis. Ms., University of Chicago.
- Reading: Merchant, Jason. 2007. Three kinds of ellipsis: syntactic, semantic, pragmatic. Ms., University of Chicago.
Week 4 (November 12, 2009):
- Handout: More on identity with the antecedent.
- Reading: Hankamer, Jorge, and Ivan Sag. 1976. Deep and surface anaphora. Linguistic Inquiry 7:391-426.
- Reading: Pullum, Geoffrey. 2000. *Hankamer was! Jorge Hankamer Webfest.
Week 5 (November 19, 2009):
- Handout: Pseudosluicing.
- Reading: Rodrigues, Cilene, Andrew Nevins, and Luis Vicente. 2009. Cleaving the interactions between sluicing and P-stranding. In Torck & Wetzels (eds.) Romance Languages and Linguistic Theory 2006, 245-270. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Additional reading: van Craenenbroeck, Jeroen. 2009. Invisible last resort: a note on clefts as the underlying source for ellipsis. Ms., Katholieke Universiteit Brussel.
Week 6 (November 26, 2009):
- Handout: Ellipsis and information structure.
- Reading: López, Luis, and Susanne Winkler. 2000. Focus and topic in VP-anaphora constructions. Linguistics 38:623-664.
- Additional reading: Rooth, Mats. 1992. Ellipsis redundancy and reduction redundancy. In Berman and Hestvik (eds.) Proceedings of the Stuttgart Ellipsis Workshop.
Week 7 (December 3, 2009):
- Handout: More on ellipsis and focus.
- Reading: van Craenenbroeck, Jeroen, and Anikó Lipták. 2006. The crosslinguistic syntax of sluicing: evidence from Hungarian relatives. Syntax 9:248-274.
Week 8 (December 10, 2009):
- Handout: Even more on ellipsis and focus.
- Reading:Corver, Norbert, and Marjo van Koppen. 2007. Let's focus on NP ellipsis. Ms., Utrecht University.
Week 9 (December 17, 2009):
- Handout: More on ellipsis and movement: pseudogapping.
- Reading Takahashi, Shoichi. 2004. Pseudogapping and cyclic linearization. Proceedings of NELS 34, 571-585.
- Support reading: Merchant, Jason. 2008. An asymmetry in voice mismatches in VP ellipsis and pseudogapping. 38:169-179.
class cancelled due to snow-related transportation chaos.
Week 10 (January 7, 2010):
no class (Luis at LSA meeting).
Week 11 (January 14, 2010):
Basics of gapping.
Week 12 (January 20, 2010):
Week 13-15 (January 27--February 11 2010):
- More about gapping.
- Reading: Lin, Vivian. 2002. Coordination and sharing at the interfaces. Doctoral dissertation, MIT.
- Additional reading: Johnson, Kyle. 2009. Gapping is not (VP) ellipsis. Linguistic Inquiry 40: 289-328.