Get them here
Final Reading Assignment results
Get them here
- Radtke: word order variation
- Koch: stability and change in word order
- Jordan: pro-drop in Basque and other languages
- Slafzinski: phonology of focus in Basque dialects
- Golz & Philipp: Einflüsse des Französischen auf das Baskische.
- Junghans: morphological differences between Basque dialects of Spain and France
- Philipp & Schneider: Grundwortstellung.
- Guttzeit: the have/be alternation.
- Haertel: Sprachkontakt von Baskisch und Isländisch.
- Lorenz: Fokus in Baskisch und Koreanisch.
- Visser: Pragmatic functions of code-switching among Basque/Spanish bilinguals.
- Rensch: causative verbs and clauses.
- Macketanz: negation in Basque.
- Richert: Ergativität und Bilingualismus.
- Träger: Reduplication in Basque and other languages.
- Aderhold & Gude: Aspekter der Ergativität.
- Friehe: Morphologie des Auxiliarverbs.
Reading assignment 3
Due on Monday July 9 at 23:59 (you have two weeks for this assignment because it is a longer paper and you are busy with the end of the semester). Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
, in either .pdf or .txt format (no .doc, .docx, or .rtf, please).
For reference, you can check your scores in Reading Assignments #1 and #2 here
. Remember that the final grade for this part of the course will be an average of your two best assignments.
Class 8–10: Intro to auxiliaries and agreement
Reading assignment 2
Due on Monday, June 3, at 23:59. Send your answers to email@example.com
in either .pdf or .txt format (no .rtf/.doc/.docx, please).
List of Hausarbeit topics
You can use this list to help each other, if your chosen topics overlap.
- Vivien Radtke: Word order variation in Basque
- Lisa Rensch: Causative verbs and clauses
- Jonathan Jordan: pro-drop in Basque compared to other languages
- Thea Aderhold & Laura Gude: Aspekte der Ergativität im Baskischen
- Vivien Macketanz: Negation im Baskischen
- Elisabeth Slafzinski: Phonology of focus in Basque dialects
- Anna Richert: Ergativität im Baskischen und Bilingualismus
- Tobias Träger: Reduplication in Basque and other languages
- Deborah Guttzeit: Die have/be Alternation im Baskischen
- Julia Haertel: Der Sprachkontakt von Baskisch und Isländisch
- Antonia Golz & Anja Philipp: Sprachwendel und Sprachkontakt: Einflüsse des Französichen auf das Baskische
- Heiko Friehe: Morfologie des Auxiliarverbs
- Josephin Lorenz: Fokus in Baskisch und Koreanisch
- Mareike Philipp & Johannes Schneider: Grundwortstellung im Baskischen
- Anne Junghans: Morphological differences between the Basque dialects of France and Spain
- Johannes Koch: Stability and change in the word order of Basque
- Emiel Visser: Pragmatic functions of code-switching among Basque-Spanish bilinguals
Class 7: more on VP structure
Class 6: VP structure and obligatory scrambling
Possible Hausarbeit topics
Please keep in mind that part of the point of writing a Hausarbeit is to test your ability to identify a topic and finding relevant data and literature. The following guidelines are meant as a suggestion, but you are not limited to these topics. Given that this is primarily a typology course, it is also acceptable (in fact, you are encouraged) to compare a specific aspect of Basque with the same aspect in other language or languages of your choice.
The following are examples of possible topics, but there are many more.
- A comparison of accentuation across different dialects of Basque, or between Basque and other language(s) —for example, some Basque dialects use tonal accents, but some others don't.
- Language contact between Basque and other languages. French and Spanish are the most obvious ones, but not the only ones; for example, there is also some contact between Basque and Icelandic.
- Determiners, articles, and/or quantifiers.
- Derivational morphology
- Case vs. postpositions
- Morphology of the finite auxiliary
- Conditions on pro-drop, especially compared to other languages
- Modal particles
- Word order and its interaction with intonation and/or information structure
- Causative clauses
- Reciprocal and reflexive sentences
- Relative clauses
- Coordinate structures
- Bilingualism and/or acquisition of Basque
The following books should provide plenty of information too. Most, if not all of them, should be available either in one of the UP libraries, in StaBi Berlin, or in the FU libraries.
- Franco, Jon, and Alazne Landa. 1999. Grammatical analyses in Basque and Romance linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins
- Hualde, José Ignacio, and Jon Ortiz de Urbina. 2003. A grammar of Basque. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter
- Hualde, José Ignacio, and Jon Ortiz de Urbina. 1993. Generative studies in Basque linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins
- Hualde, José Ignacio, Arantzazu Elordieta, and Gorka Elordieta. 1994. The Basque dialect of Lekeitio. Universidad del País Vasco
- Hualde, José Ignacio, Joseba Lakarra, and Larry Trask. 1995. Towards a history of the Basque language. Amsterdam: John Benjamins
- The annual volumes of the Anuario del Seminario de Filología Julio de Urquijo (ASJU), which are available at StaBi Berlin.
Additionally, you should also have a look at HiTT
, the Basque research group of theoretical linguistics, and HEB
, the bilingualism group, where you can find plenty of information about Basque linguists and their current work.
If all of this is not enough for you to find a suitable Hausarbeit, please get in contact with me and we will arrange a meeting. Keep in mind that I will expect you to come to this meeting with some idea about what you want to do.
Reading assignment 1
Due on Monday, May 6 at 23:59.
Class 4: focus and word order (II)
Class 3: focus and word order
Class 2: basic phonology and prosody of Basque
Class 1: general introduction to the Basque language
Reference books (you can borrow them from me, if you need to).
- Hualde, José Ignacio, and Jon Ortiz de Urbina. 2003. A grammar of Basque. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter (NP EX 920 HUA)
- de Rijk, Rudolf. 2008. Basque: a progressive grammar. Cambridge: MIT Press.